Thursday, December 30, 2010

TMI - Attractiveness and Body Image brain dump

So, things were going ok for awhile and then BAM .. trouble hits paradise once again. This is definitely a TMI post so please come back another day if its going to wierd you out.

But first for the background
I have never been, by anyones definition, a thin girl. I have curves. Lots of them. My figure is more like the classic hourglass figures of the 50's than the pencil thin muscled beauties of today.


1955 beauty pagaent contestants

Elizabeth Montgomery, Dick York and Lisa Seagram

Megan Fox

 When I first met hubby and we started going out, he used to try to nudge me into doing more excercise and to "get fit" as he called it. He used to say that I needed lose weight (at the time was at the smallest my body had ever been and I used to still hide my curves beneath jeans and loose t-shirts). I was self-conscious since the beauty standards of today call for a body that is virtually androgynous. Add in PCOS and you see where this is going. I am slightly overweight, I battle hairiness constantly and I am sensitive to sugar. Teenage boys being what they are, I was generally rejected as a potential girlfriend and made fun of until hubby.



Gradudation Day

We moved past this and he learned to stop mentioning these things since it upset me (knowing as I do that no matter how much I diet and exercise, my body frame will not lend itself to being "thin").

Wedding Day
Fast forward to our wedding and honeymoon and we discover that we have bedroom issues. I tried to be supportive to ensure that he never feels judged in the hope that the problem was more of a psychological one than anything else. We tried treatments (that helped for a while) but none of them were long term solutions. Two and a half years into our marriage, we were still experiencing problems and after trying everything I could think of, I finally suggested we see a therapist. And thats when hubby tells me that he is doing something thats affecting our sex life and he can't stop.

So suffice to say that we had problems. I started to blame myself and couldn't get out of my mind the issues he had previously had with my body. Surely, he wouldn't be doing what he was if I was good enough for him in the bedroom? We started seeing a therapist who helped put things into perspective for him and he managed to stop. Things were better for a little while and we started trying for a baby. I lost my first baby (a chemical pregnancy they said) and then a few months later lost the second (which I almost didn't survive). Of course, being pregnant and losing your child does things to your body. I gained about 4kg and have an ugly scar.

Once my body healed and it was time to try to get back to our normal lives, it was harder to get back into the swing of things in the bedroom. I was still suffering depression from losing my babies and trying to work through the trauma I had gone through. So I let things slide even more.

But now that I'm feeling alot more in control of myself and my emotions, this issue has raised its ugly head once again. I am once again left feeling unwanted, and unattractive since my own husband does not want to touch me. I feel sad and upset and angry that I am not good enough, not beautiful enough, not thin enough. I feel hurt that he refuses to initiate anything with me and am angry that I am forced to ask. It makes me feel like I am forcing him to touch me when he would rather not. I have no idea how to solve this and we had a big fight about it on christmas day when he chose to rather sit and play a computer game than be with me.

Hello, my name is "Me" and I have body image issues and feel completely unattractive and ugly.

2 comments:

  1. "And thats when hubby tells me that he is doing something thats affecting our sex life and he can't stop. "

    Dont be so mysterious - what is he doing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you cheat without cheating? I would understand it if I wasn't more than willing to satisfy his needs. He would need relief somehow, right? But when I'm right there and when we're actually having arguments about how little touch there is, then why would he still seek relief elsewhere?

    ReplyDelete